Sunday, January 16, 2011

Would if I Could

Interview magazine is my eternal envy of my sister, or all Americans for that matter.  It is there at their finger tips.  Accessible for a mere amount of change.  I say mere although it is a glossy so it will invariably make a dent in the pocket.  

Another reason my obsession probably exists is because this very magazine was established by Andy Warhol, the ultimate Fame Monster.  Lady Gaga should be grateful to have the ingenuity of his shadow.  Aah... I digress. 

My lamentation of course occurs as I have failed to procure Interview in Cork.  At least it is missing when I look.  

The first issue I bought on one balmy, humid day strolling home (I wish) on the Lower East Side.... Yeah OK I was staying at my cousins for the night. 

My first encounter with Interview was when January Jones was on the cover.  It also happened to be during the height of my Mad Men fever, after my sister had introduced it to me.  


She was interviewed by Jack Nicholson.  That is the premise of the mag, what truly distinguishes it from others, other celebrities questioning their fellow stars.  It will either be thoroughly empathetic or riotously narcissistic.  Anyway, the January/Jack experience was epic.  Exert here, an interesting tidbit on fa-fa-fa-fashion:

Nicholson: Well, what men found attractive in the early ’60s . . .
Jones: I think men are still attracted to what they’ve always found attractive, which is a woman [both laugh] who is feminine, soft, real, and . . . womanly. In the time of Mad Men, women were very polite and soft-spoken, and they didn’t express a lot of opinions. Now, I think women have become a little more rigid or hard—and I don’t think it’s because of men. I think it’s because women have become more masculine or we’ve forced ourselves to become more masculine. What’s in fashion now is very thin and hard.
Linkage to interview

So, pathetically enough, I have since been enthralled and fascinated by the magazine, so I attempt intermittently to gain a fix from the website, but much like reading a book from a Kindle, the content fails to satisfy in the same manner that the printed paper can.  The texture and olfactory senses are obliterated.  Leading to one very underwhelmed reader.

This is a great for broadcasting the independent fair as well as presenting the mainstream in unusual circumstances.

Buy it.  Explore.

This is so fitting considering my previous post.
From an editorial called my space.


Lena Dunham has an intriguing film called Tiny Furniture coming out, so glad she's getting face time.

Even Interview is celebrating the wondrous Elle.




Someday I will find this magazine.... or at least be able to afford a subscription...

No comments:

Post a Comment