Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Furnish the Mind

I am looking for a new place to live.
Not that there is anything wrong with the room, house, heating, location (well), or people (meh...), where I currently reside.
The bane of my academic existence this past five months has been my lack of defined study space, for I have no desk.  I had this intention of buying a cheap desk since I moved in last September but have stalled to the point where I would rather move to a place not only nearer to college, but with a desk. 


Who would have known this would be such a burning ambition, to have a desk?
For not I, in all my wild fantasies of adulthood, could ever have anticipated that a prominent concern that would litter my brain would be the desire for a good, solid, dependable desk.


My lamentation was further agitated over Christmas break, when I headed home to the confines of my childhood abode, to my old school desk, which my family acquired in New York back in the 70s.  Its origins remain a mystery.  


For my mother often either inherited amazing furniture, or household bits from friends or even employers.  Sometimes she gave sidewalk-rubbish a new home.  While one of my favourite thrift-acquisitions goes to my mother's butcher knife.  A neighboring couple who lived in their building were squabbling (the censored version of what was going on, I believe), when the female threw the knife and the male.  It was forgotten, perhaps discarded in an effort to mend relations.  My mother was willing to provide the knife a place to crash.  Thirty-plus years later and its still in the family.  More treasured than I, I dare say.


Back to my the desk however.  Of course, I am now obsessed with the idea of the perfect desk, and indeed, work space.  Especially after I saw how Dodai Stewart did it so so well.


I simply love my parent's desk.  Its genuinely vintage, something my style yearns to be, but cannot afford.  Something like this would complement and encourage me, don't you think? 

Apologies for studious/general mess in peripheral area of desk....


As if fate has intervened, my interest were piqued further, when for the first time in all my eight years of using the desk, I noticed this:



So who was John Stuart?  Or at least is the furniture still purchasable?  All signs point to no.  After fruitless Internet searching.  Plenty pictures, and mentions, but no dedicated site.  All I could really pertain was that the label is antique, we have the real article here, my friends.  

So for now, other antique John Stuart Inc pieces that would look good in my life.  Mad Men anyone?  Santa, I hope you are reading.


This here is described as a "Gentleman's Chest", but fuck 50s sexism, I want it. 

      

Hell's to the yeah. 


No comments:

Post a Comment