Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Shopping the Music Stash #1 - Cat's Eyes



I noticed a few weeks ago that I was in a right rut with my music playlist.  I was trapped in the repetitive abyss of seeking solace in the recently-played playlist, which ensured that even songs I love dearly have become over saturated in my under-stimulated mind.

It all began after catching up on the "What's in my Bag?" videos on Amoeba's Youtube channel.  Even if your taste doesn't match the featured artist, it is the passion with which they speak about their chosen albums that made me yearn for a similar emotional connection with music.  I mean we all have it, and when I started thinking about what I would pick out if given the chance to run wild in the Amoeba store, the list and reasons were numerous.  But still, I couldn't shake a feeling that I was occupying a bit of a musical wasteland.

First I hit HMV with abandon, yet bought classic albums that I wanted to catch up on.  You know, the kind that belong on "listen to this or you will die" lists.  Then my mind wandered to a musically fertile time in my life.  Why, it was just last summer.

I wanted new music to join my library in a an effort to help fight the cause of mundanity while the leader, moi, was writing and editing her thesis.  While most albums were listened to, a few fell through the cracks of the expansive back-catalogue.

The first album I'm going to talk about in this little series is going to be Cat's Eyes's eponymous debut.




Ordinarily with a duo such as this, I should give a little background information considering Faris Badwan comes from a background with British band, The Horrors, and Rachel Zeffira is of a classical background, as Wikipedia would suggest.  But because I know nothing about The Horrors's music and nothing about Zeffira, I will just briefly say that I heard about them through Nylon magazine and my interest was piqued.  But then the album was abandoned in the annals of my iTunes, only to resurface a fortnight ago.

Straight off, it comes across to me as spooky sixties pop.  I'm not talking Monster Mash and the like, there is no kitsch here, and rather than merely reference, they have adopted the structure and dreamy, LSD-soaked sound of the late sixties.  Plus, I think Brian Wilson would be impressed with the layers going on throughout these songs.  Thus it came as no surprise that when I finally did my research on these guys, that Cat's Eyes was conceived after Fadwan introduced Zeffira to the girl groups of the sixties.  

Their sound is more mature and muted than that of sixties girl groups, but Zeffira's lyrics and vocals mirror that same complexity of vulnerability, innocence, and strength at the forefront of the girl group oeuvre.  

The closest to a classic ballad you will find on this album, epitomizes the spooky pop feel I spoke of earlier.  


I'm not Stupid

One of the stand-out tracks on the album Over You is something akin to what a James Bond theme would sound like if it was sung by a Bond girl done wrong by Mr. Shaken not Stirred. It is everything that is right about sixties pop, a la Nancy Sinatra.   

Over You


Apologies for not being able to find a better clip, but hey I just figured out they are really good live, good translation of song from album!  So Bandit would have to be the stand out track for me personally, I would describe it as the older sister to Over You.  It's a wise woman speaking about a man who done her wrong, but instead of thrashing him, she's just warning the others.  Simple as.  Perfection.

Bandit


It is pathetic that I was deliriously pleased with this album.  You know when you take a chance on a record that you know nothing about and then feel bitterly disappointed that it fails to move you in any way?  Luckily I struck gold with this.  The talent is palpable, and after studying postmodernism, I always appreciate a good reference.  This is a slightly askew ode to the sixties, making it personal and unique and leaving me anticipating more from Cat's Eyes in the future.  I'd highly recommend it, especially for those nights with the wind howls outside.  It'll add to the atmosphere.  Maybe accompany it with Wuthering Heights?  I feel like they would go together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment